|The Junction Inn is a well established pub/ restaurant in Denshaw Saddleworth area. We provide you with high quality home-cooked food using locally sourced ingredients.
At the meeting point of five roads, a little way from the old hamlet of Denshaw, stands the Junction Inn, a good example of a posting or coaching house built to serve the needs of travellers.
Together with the small group of houses which were built nearby it took its name from the busy crossroads. The Inn itself was erected alongside an ancient packhorse route which on leaving Denshaw went over Ogden Edge behind Cherry Clough, on its way to Rochdale.
A ‘posting inn’ was not simply a place where stage coaches stopped and often changed their team of horses, but, perhaps more importantly, was an inn which kept supplies of horses regularly available for travellers using post-chaises.
|Throughout the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries ‘posting’, as well as coaching, was on the increase but it was of course considerably more expensive, and was the prerogative of a limited class.
The inn was built in 1795 by James Milnes (or Mills) to take advantage of an act passed ‘for maintaining a Turnpike Road from Mumps Brook within Oldham to Ripponden, and a branch therefrom, at Gains to Delph, all within Saddleworth’.
On his retirement in 1815 the inn was sold to John Grafton. Included in the sale were ‘large brewing pans, mash tub, cooler, and other brewing vessels, barrels, stillages, mangle etc. Also three elegant post chaises nearly new, eight excellent post horses in high condition, harness, stable utensils etc.’
The present building is largely eighteenth century in date, but incorporates earlier features. It is two stories high and has a three window centre portion with one window arched recess on each side.